Website L3 Harris
Academy Director, Bournemouth/Cranfield, UK
Primary purpose of the role:
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customer’s mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
This role sits in one of L3Harris’ four business segments – Aviation Systems (AS). This segment includes defense aviation products; security, detection and other commercial aviation products; air traffic management; and commercial and military pilot training.
Commercial Aviation Solutions (CAS) is a sector within Aviation Systems and has a division under which the Academy Director, UK sits – Commercial Training Systems (CTS). The Airline Academy business is within CTS and focuses upon training commercial airline pilots.
As Academy Director, UK you will report directly to the General Manager of the Airline Academy division, one of the largest pilot training organisations in the world with academies in the UK, USA, New Zealand and Europe. The division is growing double digits in response to growing demand from airline customers around the world.
You will lead the day to day running of your business area with a focus on maintaining the highest standards of safety. As a natural leader, you will inspire and engage a large team to perform at their best every day. You will be accountable for delivery of the flying hours on your site working closely with the central planning functions to ensure you have the capacity right to meet the demands at your site.
As a self-directed leader, you will meet the financial targets agreed with an eye on having strong cost control. You will manage your own budgets and ensure that the company’s resources are managed in the most productive manner such that maximum value is achieved from the company’s investments.
Core responsibilities will involve, but not be limited to:
- Ensure the maximisation of safety at all Airline Academy centres.
- Lead, develop and motivate your teams setting a clear set of strategic and operational objectives and performance measures and taking the lead role in managing employees to achieve and exceed those objectives.
- Ensure high employee engagement across all teams, taking responsibility for ownership of all actions to create an engaged workforce at all times.
- Ensuring delivery of the flying hours in accordance with the business plan.
- Ensure a highly customer-centric, people focus with a strong open and communicative culture – airline, trainee sponsors and trainee customers.
- Control/minimise costs effectively without degradation to safety and operational efficiency/efficacy.
- Liaise with external regulators, as required, to maintain and gain (as required) all necessary approvals and accreditations to enable the maximisation and efficacy of Airline Academy business activities.
- Manage all 3rd Party suppliers and contractors effectively with a strong focus upon the maintenance of quality and service.
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrable operational leadership experience within a business activity within the airline industry, Alternatively, a business involving the provision of either training or education, with a strong focus upon achieving high levels of trainee/customer experience/satisfaction.
- Demonstrable experience of leading large, engaged teams.
- Strong inter-personal skills with experience of influencing senior stakeholders, building effective relationships and driving change in a collaborative manner.
- Analytical with the ability to easily understand financial reports.
- Agile and flexible with high levels of energy and positivity for working in a growing/evolving business.
- Strong “one team” mindset – a willingness to get involved and support the wider objectives to enable the business to be successful.
- A problem solving approach that effectively balances appropriate judgment with best practice.
- Pre-empts any obstacles to progress by anticipating and tackling potential sources of opposition.
- A good understanding of key drivers within the business and a high level of commercial awareness.
- Integrity/values driven – commercial but also mindful of the regulatory/legal and morale/engagement risks of decisions.
- Ability to plan and prioritise effectively across a varied and demanding workload to time and quality deadlines.
Closing date: Wednesday 22 January 2020
Additional information: Applications will only be accepted from individuals who possess the eligibility to live and work within the EEA.
L3Harris is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of their background.
Note: This advert is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
As part of this application you will provide us certain personal data as defined by the Data Protection Act. This information will be used for reviewing and assessing your application for this vacancy and shall be retained for a maximum of 12 months. Should you wish for your data to be deleted in respect of this application please email careers.cts@L3Harris.com
To apply: If you can demonstrate your qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience match our requirements, we’d like to hear from you.
Agency information: L3Harris currently operates a preferred agency arrangement for all permanent, contract and temporary recruitment across all areas of the business. As such, we ask that agencies refrain from making contact with any of our colleagues and no CVs are submitted. Any unsolicited CVs or communications will reflect unfavourably on any potential opportunities for your agency. Any unsolicited CV will be sent at your own risk and will be interpreted as ‘gifts’ and we will reserve the right to engage with candidates directly having not, in any way, entered into your company’s Terms and Conditions of Contract.
If you would like to be considered for preferred supplier status in the future, please send a brief introduction to your business to careers.cts@l3Harris.com, clearly stating in the header of your e-mail your company name and the disciplines that you specialise in. Your e-mail will then be kept on file for consideration should we review our current preferred arrangements. Many thanks for your interest and co-operation with this.