Website L3 Commerical Training Solutions
We are L3 Commercial Aviation, one of the world’s leading airline training organizations and we have a great opportunity for a Chief Flight Instructor to join our Airline Academy in Portugal.
As our Chief Flight Instructor, you will be responsible for the delivery of the flying training program and for the integration of all flying, simulator and ground theory training, including overall responsibility for cadet performance management.
You will also represent L3 Commercial Aviation and the Airline Academy specifically to the flying training industry and EASA, when required.
Your responsibility will extend to ensuring Flight Safety and Health, Safety and Environmental (HS&E) and best practice standards are promoted in the delivery of all fight and ground training at all times with EAA employees, cadets and visitors, as appropriate.
You will be expected to act as an instructor and/or examiner approved by the National Civil Aviation Authority for no more than 30% of your working time, with the remainder of your working time being devoted to CFI duties.
As Chief Flight Instructor your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as line manager to the DCFIs, FIs and STIs, which will include duties related to their welfare, training and standardisation.
- Being responsible for cadet performance management and co-ordination of cadet performance and delivery of welfare considerations.
- Being responsible for the delivery of the training programme and the cadets’ progress within it.
- Co-ordinating preparation of end of course reports and final interviews.
- Being responsible for correct completion of cadet flight logbooks including monthly signatures.
- Having responsibility for the liaison with Operations to ensure appropriate availability of aircraft, instructors and simulators.
- Co-ordinating with Operations to ensure the training assets and cadets are scheduled as efficiently as possible.
- Arranging regular standards meetings with the training delivery teams and ensuring that minutes are prepared and circulated to all participants and copied to the Head of Training and the Accountable Manager.
- Working constantly with all members of the training team to maintain flying standards and discipline.
- Undertaking other tasks that from time to time a CFI could reasonably be expected to undertake to the best of your ability.
Core duties will involve, but are not limited to:
- Reporting to the Head of Training ensuring compliance with academy standards and established guidelines.
- Providing the Head of Training with as much assistance as possible in a spirit of co-operation and responsibility;
- Keeping the Head of Training informed of all academy activities and situations that require guidance;
- Permanent membership of the Training Review Board and the Standardization Action Group.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent management and communication skills with a proven track record of successfully leading teams.
- An extensive training background with significant training management experience.
- Substantial experience of working with EASA and national authorities at the highest levels.
- Valid Class 1 medical
- Commercial Pilot’s Licence (CPL)
- Multi Engine Piston (MEP)
- Multi Engine Instrument Rating (ME IR)
- Previously held an EASA nominated person role, preferable.
Location: Our L3 European Airline Academy in Portugal is located in Ponte de Sor, between Lisbon and Porto, close to Montargil lake in the scenic region of Alentejo. With great weather, modern facilities, a rapidly expanding fleet of aircraft and committed students, the European Academy is an ideal location for you to share your knowledge and support the next generation of Airline Pilots.
Additional information: Applications will only be accepted from individuals who possess the eligibility to live and work within the EEA.
L3 CTS is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of their background.
Note: This advert is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Applications are through the online form.