Position: Conservation Pilot
Reports to: WCS Niassa Project Director
Location: Niassa Reserve in northern Mozambique
Country program / sector: WCS Mozambique
Start date: December 2019
Position type: Fulltime
Application deadline: November 29, 2019
Internal liaison: WCS Niassa Project Director, WCS Mozambique Country Program Director, WCS Aviation Manager
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and
ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose
livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
WCS established a country program in Mozambique in 2012. We work to increase the protection of Niassa National Reserve, a vast landscape in the north of the country, and improve the conservation status of its elephants through co-manage of the Reserve. We serve to strengthen national-level protected area management by helping to improve policies and reinforcing the government’s ability to implement wildlife crime legislation through strategic engagement with government agencies in Maputo.
This is a field-based position responsible for undertaking aerial patrols, monitoring, surveys and aerial support to wildlife law enforcement and protected area management in Mozambique in partnership with Government wildlife authorities.
- Assuring sound operations, piloting and basic maintenance of WCS aircraft (Cessna 206)
- Organizing and undertaking aerial surveys for wildlife
- Patrolling/monitoring of human threats
- Providing aerial support to law enforcement and protected area management efforts
- Following the WCS conservation aviation program standard procedures and systems
- Technical reporting writing and mappingMinimum Requirements:
- Current US FAA commercial pilot license (CPL) with instrument rating
- At least 400 hours PIC flying experience
- Strong knowledge of FAA regulations and aircraft maintenance requirements
- Experience with wildlife surveys, anti-poaching law enforcement and bush flying in remoteareas.
- Previous experience in Africa and especially Central Africa will be a plus
- Portuguese and/or Swahili language skills desired
- Technical skills and knowledge in GIS, aerial surveys, wildlife protection monitoring, aerialphotography, also desired
- Ability to work in a team, in multi-cultural context and under extreme field conditionsApplication Process:Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply by sending an application letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three referees to the following email addresses no later than November 29th, 2019: [email protected] and [email protected]
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value
The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.